Thursday, July 8, 2010

Day five comes and goes

It's odd. The later this baby is, the less I am caring. I am definitely getting more and more uncomfortable, something I didn't think was possible, but I think the disappointment of missing the "due date" has worn off. Subconsciously I think I have started to accept pregnancy as an eternal state, so giving birth should be a welcome surprise.

I wasn't feeling well yesterday and didn't get around to blogging, so today's edition of Thoughts to Keep Me Happy is a little longer.

Healthy baby. Still not sure what the slowpoke is thinking, but everything looked great at our ultrasound yesterday.

Mini-roadtrips. We drove up to visit my cousin and her kids yesterday- about an hour from home. (I figure that some people live about that far from the hospital so we'd still be safe in the unlikely event I went into labor.) It was great fun to get out of the house, catch up with Jill, and snuggle with sweet Micah again (now 11 weeks old!) while the older three climbed all over Dylan. Yes, I realize I should have taken a picture of the kids.

"I'm-sorry-you're-still-pregnant-donuts." The sister came through with presents once again!

Bikini freedom. We've all been through it. If you are wearing a two-piece bathing suit, you are constantly aware of the position you are sitting in and weather your stomach is folding or rolling oddly. Well, when your belly looks like a pumpkin, that concern goes straight out the window. We went to the pool for a few hours today, and since I am past the point where I am terribly concerned what anyone thinks, I opted to wear one of my regular bathing suits instead of my maternity tankini. Yeah that's right, I am that girl. (Thankfully, I am NOT the girl who was laying out beside us and apparently forgot that it's not appropriate to turn your bikini into a thong at a public city pool.) I am sure I was quite a sight, but I was SO much cooler and more comfortable as I floated around and read my Real Simple. And bonus points, the big white belly got a little sun!

Visitors. Tradition has it that friends and family come visit you once your little one has arrived. Well, some babies delay arrivals and kind of mess up visitation plans, so some friends are awesome and come visit you and your large belly instead. Wes and Sara are on their way to Baltimore tonight, baby or no baby, and I am SO excited to see them!

Anticipation. Ohhhh, you didn't know I was taking requests, did you? Well I didn't know I was famous enough to have reader-requests, so I guess we're even. This was suggested as a happy thought I should highlight, and I must agree, most days I am happily looking forward to the arrival of our little snugglebug. (Other days I am wondering how hard is ok to shove back when I get a foot poking through my side.)

Chikin. Tomorrow is Cow Appreciation Day, one of my most favorite days of the year. I had originally thought a newborn might get in the way of my free Chick-fil-a combo. Then I worried that a hospital stay might cause problems. Now that I know I am only 24 hours from my delicious chicken, I am starting to believe I might get to enjoy it. (And of course, we all know that as soon as I start thinking that way the baby will decide to be born.) Since I haven't posted any pictures this week, if I get to enjoy this wonderful treat I will be sure to share a photo with you.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder about Cow Appreciation Day, we have a new one right down the road from work. But sorry Baby Shorty is still holding out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan Lineberger HomesleyJuly 9, 2010 at 9:43 AM

    Karin, I enjoy reading this so much. I know you are ready to have that baby...just hold on. You and Dylan are going to be great parents:)! Keep thinking happy thoughts. And if you have a Baskin Robbins close by, go get some ice cream and think of the good ole days and Ms. Cooper and all that free ice cream we had:). Enjoy Chickfila today! I'm jealous---living in the country means I have to drive 25 minutes to get some of that delicious chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, sorry your due date has come and gone. Babies are really selfish, aren't they?! I was plotting a whole week of guilt free naps and tv watching and William decided to come into the world a week early. 4 am on my first day off! The wait is worth it though (or the lack of wait, which ever the case may be) We can't wait to see pictures of Baby Shorty...and find out what the new name will be!

    ReplyDelete